Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First post

Dear all,

As some of you may know I managed to get a PhD position at the Linguistics department at the University of Connecticut (UConn) in the States. As during my semester in Edinburgh as an exchange student (see Edinblogh), I will bravely attempt to keep up a blog. (The title is a pun on the fact that UConn is situated in the middle of nowhere.)

Topics include the American dream, campus life, and some linguistic stuff. Feel free to skip these last posts, though :)
I hope you'll enjoy reading, and if you have any comments, please don't hesitate to tell me!
On a related note, at any time you can sign up for an e-mail alert list for new updates: just mail your e-address and I'll add you to the list (alternatively, if you have a gmail account, it seems you can become a follower of my words!).

For now I can tell you that I will be flying to New York on August 13th, while my phone contract expires on the 14th, so please don't try to call/text me. I'm not too sure yet when exactly I will arrive at my room just outside of Storrs (= university campus), but when I do I hope to find an internet connection. I'll post pictures of the room before I unpack.

Finally, a picture taken seconds before my M.Phil defence:


Cheers,
Beata

13 comments:

Anna said...

looking forward to follow your blog and life in the land of opportunities!

Noëlle Hoorneman said...

Yes!! Another blog! Of course I'll follow it again. :)
Have a safe trip and good luck on the other side of the pond!
(Love the title of your blog btw :))

Asia Floyd said...

hey hey! so you're leaving in a few days! Are you going to be in Leiden tomorrow (Tue)? if not, then I guess I'll see you in the States...
have a good flight and put many photos on the blog. I added yours (blog) to mine ;))
buziaki!!

Unknown said...

Please also pictures of your room when just unpacked, I'll need a good laugh when you're on the other side of the globe.

Norval said...

Hi Beaatje!

Just back from three weeks in California - working! Five years! Wow!

Norf

Norfie said...

Andrew Carstairs?

Froukje Henstra said...

Hi Beata, how very very very cool!
If you ever have some spare time and a car to use in the coming five years: I can recommend a visit to the Lewis Walpole Library in Farmington CT (just 35 miles west on the 44/384/84) and the Hillstead museum in the same tiny village...
It's all about the eighteenth century (not very relevamt but if you can think of a research question you can spend time there and stay in the loely guesthouse tat comes with it... people from yale seem to do this as a sort of secret holiday...)
and it's a pretty village. The staff are super friendly as well.
The Hillstead has a collection of impressionist art in the setting of a nineteenth century manor...

<3 I only spent a month in CT, but it stole my heart (except maybe for the ugly ugly ugly bits around new britain)

good luck, I'll keep following!

Best,
Froukje

Beata said...

@ Anna: Yay! How are you doing?? Are you already getting used to your new life?

Beata said...

@ Noëlle: Happy to hear to appreciate the title - I did my best! So far, so good! Did you already cut the knot wrt your job? (gotta love literal translations :p)

Beata said...

@ Asia: You have to come to the States - I'll visit you in Boston and even in NYC if you ask real nice ;). Don't bother visiting me here in Storrs (uni campus)! And thanks for adding mine to yours! (I have to clue how to do that, unfortunately)

Beata said...

@ Tessa: No – but I showed you the room when we skyped: you’ll have to settle for that!

Beata said...

@ Norf a.k.a. Andrew Carstairs: Five years is definitely long but I thought the same when I started in Leiden but those 6 years went by so fast! I’m hoping for the same effect here :).

Beata said...

@ Froukje: Thanks! Such a nice surprise to get your comment! You must be one of the few people who’ve actually been in CT, hehe. I will definitely take up your advice and take a look at the Lewis Walpole Library – unfortunately, it will have to wait a bit, though, because I don’t have a driver’s license yet.. which is kind of a problem around here ;). Whenever you find yourself in CT (or the east coast for that matter) let me know and you can of course always stay at my place! Take care!